Friday, November 2, 2012

An Attitude of Gratitude

Fall is upon us.
The leaves have turned.
The candy supply is in full swing until February.
Halloween is over.
The Christmas music is now playing on the radio.

What!!?!?!?!?!?!?
CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!!!!!!

Hello People!!! There is this little holiday between Halloween and Christmas called: THANKSGIVING.

Remember???

You know what I am talking about. Turkey, Cranberry sauce, mashed potatos, rolls, pies, pies and more pies. Stretchy pants and let us not forget the most wonderful Thanksgiving tradition of all: Football. I understand that the holidays come upon us quickly and pass even faster but seriously, you're starting your Christmas Holiday now??

Give November a chance!

So in the spirit of giving thanks, for the past two years I have taken every day in November to give thanks on Facebook. This year, because I don't have to worry about the number of characters, I have decided to blog my Thank Yous. Here I can tell you a whole lot more of why I am thankful.

So to catch up...

November 1
Today I am grateful for Nyquil and sleep.
Tuesday night I had a fever close to 103. I was really sick! My wonderful Hotstuff saved the day and ran to the store and bought me the only thing they really had left... Nyquil.
I took two tablets at 930pm and slept until 1230 the next day. My fever broke and I was able to get over most of what ailed me. All with the help of some Nyquil and 15 hours of sleep.

November 2
Today I am grateful for HOME.
This one is kinda hard to explain.I grew up just south of Portland, Or. and my adoptive parents live near Seattle. I have never lived a day of my life in Seattle but every time that plane touches down at Sea-Tac or PDX, I feel like I am home.  I have lived in the state of Utah for the last 11 years now. Eleven years later, I still feel like a tourist.
A couple of days ago, I recieved an email from my adoptive mom telling me about job openings at the Naval Shipyard. This job oppurtunity for Hotstuff (and our family) would be AMAZING!! But it would also mean that we would have to move to the Great Northwest. (Insert Happy dance here!) I shouldn't get too ahead of myself though, Hotstuff has only applied.
Meditating upon the many different ideas and scenarios in  my head about moving, for the first time ever... I have some reservations about going home to the Great Northwest. We have our children in great schools, my sister lives (80 miles) nearby, we both a lot of extended family in the state, we have good jobs and I have a job with great benefits. We have soooo much established here, why fix something that ain't broke?
As I said my morning prayers today, I prayed about some of this. I found myself grateful for so much. I realized as I prayed, that I will probably always feel like a tourist here in Utah. I may never find that satisfaction of living here and going home may never be an option. But going there.... going home with be an act of faith and trust in God. With all of that, I finally understood that HOME meant more than a place. HOME really is where your heart is and mine is with these wonderful people.



No comments:

Post a Comment