Monday, November 5, 2012

#5 Mama called the Doctor

Today has gone by quickly and I accomplished very little. I paid just as much attention to finding my gratitude today as to how much I accomplished. So as I sit here, contemplating the thing that has made me grateful today, all I can come up with is my Pulmonologist: Dr. H

I know, that is really weird to be grateful for your pulmonologist but I am. You see, about three years ago, I was really sick. I couldn't breath and nobody could explain it. I started seeing Dr. H in 2009 and with the help a few other doctors, we discovered that my gallbladder was broken (and was forthwith removed), I had asthma and I was allergic to the Flu Shot.

I work in health care but I do not interact with patients. I sit behind a desk, that is hidden within the administration office. I interact with the public mostly by phone. Last year, my company made it mandatory that every employee must have a flu shot.

BUT I AM ALLERGIC!!!!!

So, I applied for an exemption. I was denied.

I got my flu shot and I immediately got sick. I went into Dr. H, we made sure that everything was properly documented so that the next year I wouldn't be denied.

"Next year, I will make sure that they know that you can't have this shot and to leave you the hell alone!" she said as I left her office.

Once again, Flu Shot season is upon us and once again: I was denied.

I immediately called her office but she is on call this week so her office is closed. But I spoke with her nurse and she was upset that I was denied. Apparently, my reaction isn't considered an adverse effect/allergic reaction by the CDC. I emailed Dr. H and so did her nurse.

I haven't heard back from her yet but I know that she will cannot be happy with our corporate office right about now. I am grateful to know that I have someone who cares. She is an amazing doctor, with a great smile and great sense of humor. It also doesn't hurt that her daughters are in girl scouts and sell me thin mints every March. I have faith in her that she is on my side and will be doing everything in her power to make sure that I am healthy and that I can breath. She is willing to fight for me.

She cares for me as person and not just her patient. For that, I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment