Tuesday, November 13, 2012

#12 And where is the Body?

Back in September, I went to a Girls Night Out hosted by the hospital I work for. It is fair of sorts that focus's on womens lives and health issues. I had never been and I invited my friend Miss Marie to go with me. Every year our hospital holds a 5k and half marathon to raise money for cancer. We stopped a booth that was promoting that run. We both talked to the man at the booth about the run that will be held in June 2013. Miss Marie signed up to run the race and I thought to myself: "If Miss Marie runs off a cliff, I should totally follow her!"

Not really. She was excited about this half marathon and I got excited too! I have always wanted to run the 5k but I realized that there was nine months until this half marathon and I could get ready for it by then. There was another booth that we also stopped at that had training courses to help prepare for the half marathon. 

A 5k is a little over three miles... what's ten more?

I started running in the evening times with my neighbor and got up to 2.5 miles. I am almost to a 5k!!! But then.... my fibromyalgia kicked my ass one day. Then I dealt with whatever sickness that had plagued my Hotstuff. My running in the evenings became a distant memory. What has made it even harder on me is that I have NO ONE to train with. Miss Marie has a full plate and is no longer going to run. Hotstuff says running makes his knees hurt and anyone else thinks I am just crazy for running. I really need someone to pace with me. I can't seem to catch a break.

Last night, as with every Monday, the kids had gymnastics at our local rec center. Hotstuff and I both went to the oppurtunity to go work out while the kids did their gymnastics. I ran 2.5 miles for the first time in almost three months!

So today, I am grateful for that run. I was able to remind myself that I still can move and my body will not be defeat by illness. I felt that wonderful high as my body streamed along the track. My feet carried me along the blue floor. I felt weightless and powerful... even when I began to burn and beg for breath.

To quote the awesome song by Young the Giant: "My body tells me no, but I won't quit 'cause I want more."

No comments:

Post a Comment