Friday, March 28, 2014

With a love like that

I am LDS (Mormon) and I live in Utah. And please, DO NOT call me a "Utah Mormon", because I know exactly what you are talking about when you call me that and it hurts... I rather you call me fat and spit in my face. But that is not what I am blogging about today. 

Today I am blogging about the most controversial subject in Utah right now- No, not Same Sex Marriage but Homosexuality. 

One day, I will be able to find the words to explain my stance on Same Sex Marriage but I need to be able to fine tune how I feel to help you understand without offending or contradicting myself. Frankly, I am struggling with the issue. 

In 2004, the state of Utah defined marriage as the legal union between one man and one woman. In December 2013, a little judge came along and said: "Hey, people of Utah you are being jerks!" 
Just kidding! I don't think he said that (or used the word jerks). 

"On December 20, 2013, District Judge Robert J. Shelby struck down the same-sex marriage ban as unconstitutional.[7] He wrote:[8]

Amendment 3 perpetuates inequality by holding that the families and relationships of same-sex couples are not now, nor ever will be, worthy of recognition. Amendment 3 does not thereby elevate the status of opposite-sex marriage; it merely demeans the dignity of same-sex couples. And while the State cites an interest in protecting traditional marriage, it protects that interest by denying one of the most traditional aspects of marriage to thousands of its citizens: the right to form a family that is strengthened by a partnership based on love, intimacy, and shared responsibilities." (From the most trustworthy source on the internet: Wikipedia.)

After December 20th, what did I see? I saw two things:

One- Thousand of people rushing to the courts to get married. 

Two- I saw HATE. Pure hate coming from people who preach about love, charity, compassion and that all of us are children of God. 

I was, as they say: "born into the church." Meaning, that my parents were members of the church, therefore I am automatically a member- same rule applies to most religions. I grew up being taught that I am a Child of God who loves me and God loves all of his Children. I was taught and have learned to love others, that great commandment from John chapter 13 verse 34: A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Just a note: in that scripture Jesus states not once but twice: "Love one another".

I was encourage to serve, show compassion and show charity (which is defined as the PURE LOVE OF CHRIST) to everyone. No matter who or what they are. After December 20th, I felt as if I had missed some footnote in the church manuals that said: we should love one another as Jesus has commanded... except those who are gay.

My brother is gay and I love him. Do I agree with his all of his choices? No and to be fair he doesn't agree of mine but he is still my brother. For me, there is no footnote that says love everyone except the gays. I love and accept my brother for who he is, not what he is.

One of the best lessons I have learned about love has come from the most unlikely source in my little Mormon life. It came from Pope Francis.




Pope Francis leads millions of Catholics everyday. His position is viewed as the closest to God and yet he is humble enough to say: Who am I to judge? I believe that if Pope Francis can live this, so can I.

When we let go of our judgments, we let go of our fear and we learn to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment