Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Is that a letter in your bag for me?

   It's been almost a year since I have written anything on my blog. I started this second blog as a personal outlet. I have my family blog and since I enjoyed writing and some of the things that I write aren't too family blog friendly, I started a second blog.

   So now have a confession to make:

I am such a HYPOCRITE!!!

   For my birthday, Hotstuff sent out invites to everyone that we knew to come for my party. He invited over a hundred people (that live in the state) and instead of 75ish people that we were expecting about 25 showed up (we have been living off of left overs for the last week!). He also sent out a message inviting everyone to send me a message about the things that they love about me. Once again, he got a very small response. Hotstuff was dissapointed. He really wanted to fill every page of the book that he had bought me with notes from people.

(Me reading one of the notes from friends on my birthday)


   Later that night, he and I talked. He felt bad that more people didn't send me a note. I wasn't worried and I wasn't offended because I know that I am loved and I know that I mean something to my friends and family. Just because I didn't get a note from someone doesn't mean that they don't love me. It just means that I have loved ones who took the time to tell me that they love me.
   We now live in a world where writing has become a lost art. Instead of letters and cards, we send a message on facebook or send a text. Less and less do we actually, really, truly take the time to send a hand written note, just because. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's just easier to just send a quick message through technology. But when was the last time you held a real piece of paper in your hands from someone who loves you? When was the last time you let someone know that you love them?
   We use our technology to do the talking for us and sooner (rather than later) we will become a distant society. Never communicating with each other. Never expressing our love for one another with sincerity. Our relationships will not be as strong and the bases for them will be on what our technology will do for us.

   So why am I a hyprocrite??

   Because it has been almost a years since I have blogged and I am not the most perfect person at sending out notes and cards to those I love. Because I believe what I have written is the truth and I don't take as much time as I should to show others my love for them more personally.  I use facebook and text to send messages, probably more than I should.
   Our relationships help us define our lives and who we are. My idea is not to scold or give a guilt trip. My idea is to inspire and remind that our words on paper still mean something.

No comments:

Post a Comment