Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Because my loan isn't already big enough and I don't have enough paper.

I graduated in December with my Bachelors Degree. I thought it was enough. I thought for sure I would have a job by January 15th. I was going to have health insurance after not having any for three years by March 1st at the latest! I had this huge plan:

Step one: Get a job! 

Step two: Sit for RHIA credentials by April 1st, 2017

Step three: Receive CHIP credentials by Summer 2018 

Step four: Enroll in graduate school by Summer 2019

It's now February 21, 2017 and Step four is now completed two years ahead of schedule.

Yep, you read that right. I am now officially in Graduate School. I will be pursuing a Masters of Science in Health Informatics at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona. The best part- no relocation necessary. The worst part: I really thought that I could break up with my homework but it looks like that will not be possible.

So why is this happening two years ahead of schedule. Because despite the 30 plus job applications I was sending out every week, I was meet with the same rejection: we cannot hire you because you have no managerial experience (and we are not willing to give you any).  Okay, I added the last part. I thought I had paid my dues. I had spent 9 years doing grunt work and the last three of those bettering myself through education. Every rejection was another way of someone saying you are not good enough. Apparently, I had not done enough and I was not good enough.

I am sure that by going to grad school will not increase my chances for a job. This is a long term decision for a long term result. I completed my counseling for my loans today and it will take me 10 years to pay off what I will owe at almost $750 a month once I am done in two years.

So now, I re-write my plan.

Get a job! 
Get RHIA credentials! 
Do my Homework (classes start March 16th) 

I am not putting anything in any order!!

The kids are not thrilled about grad school but are okay with this program. It's all online, I will be more available and I will be able to work.

I've wanted a Masters degree since I was 17 years old. I started myself on a path that would place me where I wanted to be in life. Things, wonderful and miraculous things happened along the way; My Hotstuff, Miss May and Bubba Jones were those wonderful events. It didn't stop me from continuing on my path. It created a new path so that I could continue on the journey I started.  Now, I am finally finishing a journey that I started when I was 17.

I have really truly witnessed in the last couple of years that prayers are heard and prayers are answered. Those answers may not come under the circumstances that we choose or desire but they are heard and are answered.



No comments:

Post a Comment